Cromwell Point Lighthouse is maintained by the Commissioners of Irish Lights and is a harbour light to guide vessels from the sea and lead them through the northern entrance of Valentia Harbour past Harbour Rock.
The site of the Cromwell Point Lighthouse was originally home to a Cromwell Feetwood Fort believed to have been built in the 16th century which was one of two built on Valentia Island around this time. The outline of the Cromwell Point fort with its bastions and barrack inside its wall can still be easily traced from the air, lying just inside the lighthouse enclosure wall. The fort was maintained after the Restoration and there are various State Paper entries about its repair over the period 1663-1665. It was disestablished in 1669. The first light for Cromwell Point was originally applied for on 30 March 1828 by the Right Honorary Maurice Fitzgerald, Knight of Kerry. Work commenced on the lighthouse ten years later in 1838, the light was first exhibited on 1 February 1841. Since November 1947 the light has been automated.
Originally the lighthouse was staffed by a single keeper, housed with his family on site, however with automation the keeper was withdrawn and a part-time attendant was appointed to look after the station.
• Latitude – 51˚56.022’ North
• Longitude – 010˚19.280’ West
• Light Range – White 17 Nautical Miles;
– Red 15 Nautical Miles
• Height of Tower – 15 Metres
• Height of Light – 16 Metres
• Loc8 Code – TSR-14-WN9