The smell of home baking and the wood burning stove greets the visitor, along with a warm welcome from Jackie and Brian. This historic Cablemaster’s house is a 4* B&B with views over the ornamental garden and the sea to the mountains. The flower beds are a riot of colour. Fruit, vegetables, edible flowers and herbs for the table grow in the kitchen garden. The hives for the honey bees and free range chickens play their part. The offerings for breakfast include fresh eggs, scallops, sun dried tomatoes and apples, myrtle berries, cape gooseberries, home grown grapes, brown soda bread with seaweed, fresh fruit salad, garden herbs, homemade jams, Atlantic Villa honey and the full Irish. An interesting, seasonal breakfast menu caters for a variety of tastes.
Every room is sumptuous – layers of soft bedding and luxury, quality and attention to detail the hallmark of each bedroom which is individually decorated. The house itself with pine floors is an elegant high-ceilinged Cable house which was built in 1873. James Graves who was the first superintendent of the Valentia Cable Station and worked for the Anglo American Telegraph Company for 44 years, lived at Atlantic Villa, would also have enjoyed this old world charm. Valentia Island, being the most westerly inhabited in Europe was the ideal location for the terminus of all European communications using the transatlantic cable. So every message crossing the Atlantic passed through this station under the supervision of James Graves.
Guests are not surprised to hear that Atlantic Villa is the proud recipient of the Green Tourism Gold Award and The Travellers Choice award by Tripadvisor. Brian was awarded the winner of the Valentia Island King Scallop festival cook–off. Visitors consider the location, overlooking the Atlantic Ocean yet secluded in its own private garden, and choose it as the place to stay to enjoy the real “Irish experience.”
Failte Ireland (Irish Tourist Board) 4 star rating.
Open: February to Christmas
- All rooms en-suite
- Beautiful views from all bedrooms
- Four poster beds
- Complementary Sauna for B&B guest use
- TV available in lounge
- Library and sitting room with open fire
- Hot drinks facilites in sitting room
- Free high-speed internet access
- Scrumptious breakfast menu including Valentia scallops and local smoked salmon
- Located in Knightstown village with bars, cafés, and restaurants
- Bookings made for Skelligs Islands
- Adjacent to the Valentia Island Heritage Centre, minutes walk from the seafront and seasports
- Beautiful scenery & walks
- Home baking, preserves, our own honey, eggs, garden grown salads